Wednesday, July 13, 2011

BPF=Best Phone Forever!

I love technology, I really do. I'm a frequent user of the internet, in fact I would say that I spend most of my time, not being in school, studying, training or working, on the computer.  Browsing the internet for blogs, news, gossip, emails, resources and let's not forget: refreshing facebook every two minutes or so. Computers are great, simple as that.
Now, phones on the other hand. They give me bad case of ulcer, which is why I keep mine on vibration. This is something that annoys the crap out of frequent callers of Inam since I'm rarely able to hear my phone and therefore very seldom pick up the phone. But I do usually call back as soon as I see that someone has called....but it does happen that I forget or postpone it till it's too late, dont take it personally! The thing is that I have sever allergy to ringing phones, I really really hate it.
It's such a huge disturbance, lets look at some examples:

  • Sitting on the toilet and the bloddy phone starts ringing. It's possible to ignore it for the first 2 rings and then the only thing that comes to mind is how fast one can pull up the pants to not miss the phonecall.
  • Sitting with friends at a cafe or a bar and then a phones starts ringing. The conversation about that odd one night stand gets interrupted just before the highlight of the story should come. And since the phone is such an important friend....it usually gets picked up, even though one is surrounded with ones friend.
  • In the supermarket, the busy mother is just about to pay for her groceries when the phone goes off.  Instead of gently pressing "ignore", she feels obligated to answer. So japping to a friend and at the same time fishing after her wallet and trying to her the cashier...the whole process just takes so much longer and makes it unpleasent for the rest of the line and the cashier......disrespectful.
  • Getting jiggy with your boyfriend (cuddling or whatever thing came to your dirty minds) and the phone goes off.....Seriously folks, how can a phone call outplay your spouse, think about it.
Those four came to mind cause they make my famous eyebrow go into twitch mode. It seems to me that people have become so dependent on their phone that the life around them gets less important when the phone calls for their attention. And I dont want to be dependent on my phone; so I keep it on vibration that way I can quietly ignore it when I'm doing something else...and then I call back when I'm done with whatever I was doing (I might have to alter this attitude slightly when I become a veterinarian....).

I'm not familiar with the phoneculture in Scandinavia but if it is anything like it is here in Denmark, then we can expect that a marriage between an iPhone and a human being will be a completely normal thing. Surely this iPhone is great, it has it all: GPS, music, games, internet, dictionary, any "application" you can think of, plus it looks good. But because it has all this (excuse my france) "crap" people feel obligated to check their phones every 4 seconds. This makes gathering rather odd since there is usually at least one or two who are checking their phones in between beer sips: "Oh, wait I'll just check this one thing", "blipblip, oh that was an email, comment on facebook, sms. I'll check it quickly". For us who are not in a stable iPhone relationship, this can be rather tedious, all of a sudden the ceiling of the bar becomes of interest, the beer glass empties real quick and the last thing to do is to check that big, 5kg nokia hand down from dad...that is: flicking through the phonebook. And this is it...it's not an uncommon sight on cafes to see friends all sitting with their latte, extremely busy ticking away on their iPhone.....nice gathering?! 

My next phone? No idea, some that is not to expensive but works for phone calls, sms and it could be nice to have a camera on it in case I get bored waiting for something or someone...then I can take pictures of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment